Telephone : 01736 369409
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
History of The Old Lifeboat House Penzance
Penzance was the first port in Cornwall to have its
own lifeboat in the early 1800s.
This Lifeboat House on Wharf Road was built in 1884.
it was constructed from Lamora granite with an arched bell cote and ball finial. Over the doorway are two terracotta roundels of the RNLI crest. It is one of the best surviving examples in Cornwall.
1908 a reserve lifeboat was sent to Penzance while the station boat was tried at Newlyn.
1913 the boat was then relocated to Penlee.
1917 Penzance lifeboat station was closed and the Lifeboat House was sold to the council.
The building costs of £575-6s-6d.This was paid for by a £1000 gift from Henry Martin Harvey of Hexworthy, which also paid for the new lifeboat Dora and the horse drawn carriage.
The Dora a self- righting boat was built by Woolfe of Shadwell. She was 34ft x 10 ft with a crew of 13 and 10 oars.
She saved all 10 vessels that she attended and saved 57 lives.
The Dora was sold in 1895 and broken up in Ireland in 1980
9.30 am to 11.30 am
Noon to 2.30 pm
5.30 pm to 9.00 pm
Breakfast 9.30 to 11.00
Lunch Noon to 2.30 pm
Open until 4pm
OPEN from 9.30 am
SIX DAYS A WEEK
Closed on Mondays